TVOC code of conduct for parents and carers
All parents and carers should:
- Encourage your child to attend club coaching sessions and to learn new skills.
- Discourage unfair competition and arguing with officials.
- Help your child to recognise good performance, not just results.
- Never force your child to take part in orienteering or to run a course for which they are not ready.
- Set a good example by recognising fair play and applauding the good performance of all.
- Never punish or belittle a child for losing or making mistakes.
- Publicly accept officials’ judgements.
- Support your child’s involvement and help them enjoy their orienteering.
- Use correct and proper language at all times.
- Encourage ‘Fair Play’ in orienteering e.g. not complaining about the map, course planning, control placement; having respect for the countryside; not tampering with controls; not entering out of bounds areas etc.